Lakewood Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
If you or a loved one have been injured in a motorcycle accident, the lawyers at Briggs & Briggs can help. Driving a motorcycle can be fun, convenient, and cost-effective, but unfortunately, motorcyclists who are hit by cars are often seriously injured or even killed. Many drivers don’t know what to do with motorcycles on the road. When cars and motorcycles collide, the smaller size and open nature of the motorcycle puts its rider at risk of life-threatening injuries. All too often, motorcyclists are flung from their bike or even directly hit by cars.
At Briggs & Briggs, our Lakewood motorcycle accident lawyers believe that reckless drivers who endanger motorcyclists should be held accountable for the injuries they cause. We have been providing legal services to personal injury victims in Washington State for over sixty years, and in that time, we have seen our fair share of motorcyclists who have suffered serious injuries. If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident in Lakewood, Tacoma, Olympia, Puyallup, Chehalis, or Bremerton, our motorcycle accident lawyers are here to fight for you. Call (253) 588-6696 to contact an attorney.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Not only are motorcycles much smaller than cars, but they are much less common. Many drivers do not think to be on the lookout for motorcycles, and often run into them as a result. Here are some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents:
- A car turning left in front of a motorcycle
- Rear-ending the motorcycle at an intersection
- Opening a car door while a motorcycle is coming
- Changing lanes with a motorcycle in the blind spot
- Head-on collisions
Whatever the cause of the accident, it is often bad for the driver but much worse for the motorcyclist. The Lakewood, Washington personal injury lawyers of Briggs & Briggs are ready to assist in any type of motorcycle accident case, no matter the cause.
Injuries from Motorcycle Accidents
Compared to drivers in cars, motorcyclists are especially vulnerable in that they do not have a steel cage around them to protect them from an impact. They are often thrown from their bikes or directly hit by cars. As a result, motorcycle accident injuries have the potential to be especially dangerous. Here are some of the most common types of injuries motorcyclists suffer as the result of an accident:
- Head injuries: It is important to always wear a helmet, but even if you do, a crash can knock your head around and result in brain injuries, including concussions or worse.
- Neck injuries: These often go along with head injuries, particularly if the head receives a direct impact. Since the neck houses part of the spinal cord, neck injuries can result in nerve damage or even paralysis.
- Arm injuries: Many motorcyclists who are flung from their bikes instinctively try to catch themselves on their arms, leading to arm injuries.
- Road rash: Any motorcyclist who has ever fallen off their bike knows that dragging on the road can do some serious damage to your skin. This road rash is even worse when your body is traveling at high speeds.
- Leg injuries: Whether your legs hit the ground or parts of your bike, they could be subject to broken bones or other serious injuries.
- Other broken bones: When your body hits a car or the road, no bone is safe from the impact.
- Burns: Particularly if the accident results in an explosion or contact with hot vehicle parts, you could suffer serious, disfiguring burns.
Many of these injuries have the potential to be life-threatening. Unfortunately, a large number of motorcyclists hit by cars do not survive. Whatever injuries you or your loved one have suffered as a result of a motorcycle accident, an experienced personal injury attorney can help you win compensation.
Proving Fault in a Washington State Motorcycle Accident
Legally, motorcycles are treated just like cars. In Washington State, this means that motorcycle accidents are subject to pure comparative negligence. Under this legal doctrine, the fault is assigned to each driver involved in the collision according to what kinds of negligent actions they took. In a successful personal injury suit, the plaintiff will have their reward reduced by the percentage of fault they share.
A driver is said to be acting negligently when they breach the duty of care that could reasonably be expected of them, and that breach causes another person injury. For instance, drivers have a duty to watch out for vehicles in front of them. If a driver is not paying attention and rear-ends a motorcycle they did not see when approaching an intersection, they are being negligent.
You Could be Owed Compensation if You Were Hurt in a Motorcycle Crash
A successful personal injury suit can help you receive compensation for many of the costs resulting from a motorcycle accident, including:
- Medical bills
- Motorcycle repairs or replacement
- Lost wages due to time off work
- Future lost income due to disability
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Transportation and other miscellaneous costs
Your lawyer can help you determine which damages to seek in your personal injury suit. Your case may end out of court as a settlement or in court as a judgment.
Wrongful Death Claims for Families of Motorcycle Accident Victims
Unfortunately, many motorcycle accidents prove deadly. If your loved one was killed in a motorcycle accident, you may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim to recover compensation for funeral expenses, burial expenses, and more. In Washington, the following people can bring a wrongful death claim:
- The representative of the deceased person’s estate
- The deceased person’s spouse or domestic partner
- The deceased person’s children or stepchildren
- If the deceased person had none of the above, their parents or siblings
If you are unsure whether you are eligible to file a wrongful death claim, and experienced personal injury attorney can help you determine if you can.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident, you don’t have to face this challenging time alone. The Lakewood personal injury lawyers of Briggs & Briggs are here to help. We will handle your case with respect and dignity, and we will fight aggressively for the compensation you need and deserve. For more information on how we can help, call us now at Briggs & Briggs.